Skip to main content

My Favorite Toys - National Geographic Crystal Garden Kit


I recently got a National Geographic Crystal Garden Kit courtesy of Incredible Novelties. Even though the age recommendation is for kids 8 years old or older, we decided to try it out as a family. So dad, mom and 3 year old, we all sat together to have fun with it.

The kit comes with 2 different tree patterns, markers to paint them, the liquid to grow the crystals, 2 bases for the trees, a geode sample, a booklet regarding crystals and the instructions on how to use the kit. To use it, you need to take the trees, paint them however you want, give them some shape by folding branches, put the 2 parts of each tree together and stand them on the bases. We all took different parts of the tree and started painting. My son had a lot of fun painting everything in orange, while my husband did a very minimalist look and I went as heavy as I could on color.

After you put it together, the instructions say to set them wherever you are going to leave them when they are growing and later. The point of this is because you cannot move the trees after or the crystals will fall, so be very careful and set them in their "final" place before using the special liquid!. We set them on a glass shelf and very carefully used the liquid. Then you have to wait. After an hour or so we started seeing some crystals growing already, and after 6 hours they were completely grown. We enjoyed doing this in the morning so we could see them change during the day :)

The crystals are very soft, so don't touch them unless necessary, although my son kept trying as much as he could :D After that, there is nothing much to do but admiring them. The instructions say to throw them in the trash after that but we left them there as much as we could, and after about 5 days the crystals just started falling apart. Pretty easy to clean though, so at that point we put them in the trash and we kept the geode and the booklet as a nice reminder.

The kit is $16.99 and can be found in Mastermind, Indigo, Staples, Walmart, Toys R US, and Independent Stores. It was really fun as a family activity and I'm sure older kids would get more fun out of the scientific aspect of it! I would definitely recommend it, specially for any kids that are interested on science.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Favorite Toys - National Geographic's Kinetic Sand

We bought National Geographic's Kinetic Sand a couple of months ago when we were looking for an easy solution to have a sand box inside the house without the mess! My first impression was how vivid the colors are and that it would provide as much fun for the parents as it would for our toddler :D After a lot of back and forth between mom, dad and toddler as to who got to play with the sand first, we decided it was only fair for the 3 year old to have fun first xD He loved that it came with different molds he could use to create things, and I loved how easily the sand came out from the molds while also keeping its shape (not to mention how easy it was to clean it from the floors when inevitably some of it ended up there). The sand was perfect, it helps my toddler practice the motor skills necessary to put the sand in the molds and take it out still intact, it has a good texture that satisfies his sensory needs, it shows him new shapes like pyramids, and it allows for free play where

My Favorite Toys - Green Toys Ferri

When I first heard about Green Toys I was in love. They make all their toys from recycled materials and they are great quality. Good for the environment and for my pocket. The first chance I had, I got my son the Ferri with its 2 cars. Since then, they have provided a lot of fun for him. He plays with the cars both in land and on water, and the Ferri has been on land, the bath, and the pool.  As I'm writing this, the 2 cars are in the bathtub and the Ferri is providing the fun in the pool. My son puts other cars on it, tries to sink it, and throws it from as high as he can. We have talked about why it floats and it doesn't sink as his other toys, what capsized means when the Ferri ends up upside down after being thrown, and the very basic, like how they work moving cars from one place to another.  When you are having conversations with your kids around the activities that interest them, it's very easy to insert all sort of concepts, from vocabulary, to numbers t

Yesterday Was Bad, Today We Connect

Yesterday we had a bad afternoon and evening. As we tried to survive the last hour before going to bed, we all lost it. So much screaming, so much fighting. I went to the kitchen, grabbed the TV and hid it in the basement. A message to my 3 year old that TV was off limits, tomorrow there would be no TV. So, how can we survive working from home without the TV? We can't. I had no choice though. Toddlers are not meant to be in front of the TV, they crave connection with other people. Even when he is watching something, he is constantly asking me what I am doing (working) and why (to make money?). So I took the day off work and took him out the house. Not everyone has the privilege of taking days off work so I'm happy and blessed. This morning we kept fighting to make him eat breakfast and dressed but once we were on the car, everything was much better. We took a drive where out of nowhere he said "I like music mommy, I'm happy", and now we are seating nex