Skip to main content

New Daycare Experience

This week I wake up and get my son ready for daycare. Need to put sunscreen before he leaves, make sure he wears the right shoes, eat something, get dressed, bring the plastic bag with necessities and not the backpack, it's easier to clean. First condition of the day that we must follow for him to go there, no backpacks, no extra things like toys, only the essentials in a ziplock bag.

We get in the car and drive to daycare, telling him all the fun things we might be doing today, what are they? I can't get in the daycare anymore, so I don't know which friends are going there this week, he can't play with the sandbox or any shared activities, all stations in his classroom are separate enough so kids don't mingle much. So I ask him what he does during the day and him being 3 and all, his answer is always "I don't know" or "Nothing", great.

We are at daycare now, get off the car, put on my mask, grab him and his plastic bag and line up in one of the designated spots if there is people before me. Once is our turn we talk with one of the daycare providers who is incredibly nice and tries to make this experience a fun one. She is wearing a mask and stands behind a plastic shield, takes my temperature and then his temperature and writes it all down. Then comes all the designated questions we get asked every day "Have you traveled outside of Ontario in the last 14 days" (I was here yesterday!), "Have you been in contact with a known Covid positive case" (no, wouldn't want to), "Do you have any of these symptoms: fever, shortness of breath, rash, etc, etc)". After she writes down "no" to everything, she tries to take Kingsley inside to wash his hands.

He doesn't want to go, every day he clings to me, and every day I push him away. He is fine though, it was like that even before the pandemic, I know he has fun after I leave, just this time, I am not 100% sure what sort of things he might be looking forward to, just a thing here and there he mentions (ambulance! garbage truck! tow truck!). I still leave happy, I get to work in peace, he gets to see other people that love him, and other kids he can play with however the new play is. We'll do this until September, when he is supposed to start school for the very first time in his life, and I have no idea what type of experience he will have.

Gone is my plan for his very first day of school, the idea I had of the day and all the little things I was going to do to make it special. I don't know what to expect anymore, and I barely had a grip on it before. We'll have to wait and see, for now, he is back in his wonderful daycare and we are all better for it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Favorite Toys - National Geographic's Kinetic Sand

We bought National Geographic's Kinetic Sand a couple of months ago when we were looking for an easy solution to have a sand box inside the house without the mess! My first impression was how vivid the colors are and that it would provide as much fun for the parents as it would for our toddler :D After a lot of back and forth between mom, dad and toddler as to who got to play with the sand first, we decided it was only fair for the 3 year old to have fun first xD He loved that it came with different molds he could use to create things, and I loved how easily the sand came out from the molds while also keeping its shape (not to mention how easy it was to clean it from the floors when inevitably some of it ended up there). The sand was perfect, it helps my toddler practice the motor skills necessary to put the sand in the molds and take it out still intact, it has a good texture that satisfies his sensory needs, it shows him new shapes like pyramids, and it allows for free play where

Yesterday Was Bad, Today We Connect

Yesterday we had a bad afternoon and evening. As we tried to survive the last hour before going to bed, we all lost it. So much screaming, so much fighting. I went to the kitchen, grabbed the TV and hid it in the basement. A message to my 3 year old that TV was off limits, tomorrow there would be no TV. So, how can we survive working from home without the TV? We can't. I had no choice though. Toddlers are not meant to be in front of the TV, they crave connection with other people. Even when he is watching something, he is constantly asking me what I am doing (working) and why (to make money?). So I took the day off work and took him out the house. Not everyone has the privilege of taking days off work so I'm happy and blessed. This morning we kept fighting to make him eat breakfast and dressed but once we were on the car, everything was much better. We took a drive where out of nowhere he said "I like music mommy, I'm happy", and now we are seating nex

My Favorite Toys - Little Tikes Cozy Coupe

Little Tikes makes some awesome toys and it's a brand I buy without worrying about quality. You can buy second hand without any issues whatsoever so the quality new is superb. One of their main toys is the Cozy Coupe which my son adores. He has had it since he was 2 years old (he is almost 4) and he continues to play with it almost every day. Drive it, fill the gas, get it dirty and wash it, back it up into a parking spot and use the horn when other cars are coming. It gives him the freedom to drive as adults do and practice pretend play which is so important for little kids.  Every time I think he might have outgrown it, he finds a new way to play with it. I'm actually going to be sad when I have to let it go, but will keep the memories of my son playing with it, and I'm sure it will make yet another kid happy because this little car has many more years to go! The Little Tikes Cozy Coupe is cute, sturdy and lots of fun to play with. From kid to kid, it's th