Skip to main content

New Daycare Experience

This week I wake up and get my son ready for daycare. Need to put sunscreen before he leaves, make sure he wears the right shoes, eat something, get dressed, bring the plastic bag with necessities and not the backpack, it's easier to clean. First condition of the day that we must follow for him to go there, no backpacks, no extra things like toys, only the essentials in a ziplock bag.

We get in the car and drive to daycare, telling him all the fun things we might be doing today, what are they? I can't get in the daycare anymore, so I don't know which friends are going there this week, he can't play with the sandbox or any shared activities, all stations in his classroom are separate enough so kids don't mingle much. So I ask him what he does during the day and him being 3 and all, his answer is always "I don't know" or "Nothing", great.

We are at daycare now, get off the car, put on my mask, grab him and his plastic bag and line up in one of the designated spots if there is people before me. Once is our turn we talk with one of the daycare providers who is incredibly nice and tries to make this experience a fun one. She is wearing a mask and stands behind a plastic shield, takes my temperature and then his temperature and writes it all down. Then comes all the designated questions we get asked every day "Have you traveled outside of Ontario in the last 14 days" (I was here yesterday!), "Have you been in contact with a known Covid positive case" (no, wouldn't want to), "Do you have any of these symptoms: fever, shortness of breath, rash, etc, etc)". After she writes down "no" to everything, she tries to take Kingsley inside to wash his hands.

He doesn't want to go, every day he clings to me, and every day I push him away. He is fine though, it was like that even before the pandemic, I know he has fun after I leave, just this time, I am not 100% sure what sort of things he might be looking forward to, just a thing here and there he mentions (ambulance! garbage truck! tow truck!). I still leave happy, I get to work in peace, he gets to see other people that love him, and other kids he can play with however the new play is. We'll do this until September, when he is supposed to start school for the very first time in his life, and I have no idea what type of experience he will have.

Gone is my plan for his very first day of school, the idea I had of the day and all the little things I was going to do to make it special. I don't know what to expect anymore, and I barely had a grip on it before. We'll have to wait and see, for now, he is back in his wonderful daycare and we are all better for it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Favorite Toys - National Geographic's Kinetic Sand

We bought National Geographic's Kinetic Sand a couple of months ago when we were looking for an easy solution to have a sand box inside the house without the mess! My first impression was how vivid the colors are and that it would provide as much fun for the parents as it would for our toddler :D After a lot of back and forth between mom, dad and toddler as to who got to play with the sand first, we decided it was only fair for the 3 year old to have fun first xD He loved that it came with different molds he could use to create things, and I loved how easily the sand came out from the molds while also keeping its shape (not to mention how easy it was to clean it from the floors when inevitably some of it ended up there). The sand was perfect, it helps my toddler practice the motor skills necessary to put the sand in the molds and take it out still intact, it has a good texture that satisfies his sensory needs, it shows him new shapes like pyramids, and it allows for free play where...

My Favorite Toys - NextX Magnetic Blocks

These magnets are fantastic! I had seen my son play with similar magnets at the Early Years Center and liked them so much I went online in search for them. After looking at different brands, it was clear that Magformers has the market but they are incredibly expensive. NextX offers in my opinion the same quality, more pieces, for an affordable price. The set I bought came with 46 pieces with different shapes, 4 sets of wheels, and a manual with ideas on what to build. My son doesn't use the manual of course but builds incredible pieces that have become more and more complicated the older he gets.  We have use NextX magnets to build towers, houses, parking lots for his cars, trucks, castles and others. While he is doing that he is learning motor skills, engineering and physics, as putting several magnets together can cause opposite poles to reject each other and lots of frustration when he is trying to put them in a block. That's ok though, we all learn about gravity by falling...