Skip to main content

Yesterday Was Bad, Today We Connect

Yesterday we had a bad afternoon and evening. As we tried to survive the last hour before going to bed, we all lost it. So much screaming, so much fighting. I went to the kitchen, grabbed the TV and hid it in the basement. A message to my 3 year old that TV was off limits, tomorrow there would be no TV.

So, how can we survive working from home without the TV? We can't. I had no choice though. Toddlers are not meant to be in front of the TV, they crave connection with other people. Even when he is watching something, he is constantly asking me what I am doing (working) and why (to make money?). So I took the day off work and took him out the house.

Not everyone has the privilege of taking days off work so I'm happy and blessed. This morning we kept fighting to make him eat breakfast and dressed but once we were on the car, everything was much better. We took a drive where out of nowhere he said "I like music mommy, I'm happy", and now we are seating next to a small dam. Listening to the running water and the birds, talking and connecting.

Today there is no TV for him, today we connect.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Favorite Toys - National Geographic's Kinetic Sand

We bought National Geographic's Kinetic Sand a couple of months ago when we were looking for an easy solution to have a sand box inside the house without the mess! My first impression was how vivid the colors are and that it would provide as much fun for the parents as it would for our toddler :D After a lot of back and forth between mom, dad and toddler as to who got to play with the sand first, we decided it was only fair for the 3 year old to have fun first xD He loved that it came with different molds he could use to create things, and I loved how easily the sand came out from the molds while also keeping its shape (not to mention how easy it was to clean it from the floors when inevitably some of it ended up there). The sand was perfect, it helps my toddler practice the motor skills necessary to put the sand in the molds and take it out still intact, it has a good texture that satisfies his sensory needs, it shows him new shapes like pyramids, and it allows for free play where...

My Favorite Toys - NextX Magnetic Blocks

These magnets are fantastic! I had seen my son play with similar magnets at the Early Years Center and liked them so much I went online in search for them. After looking at different brands, it was clear that Magformers has the market but they are incredibly expensive. NextX offers in my opinion the same quality, more pieces, for an affordable price. The set I bought came with 46 pieces with different shapes, 4 sets of wheels, and a manual with ideas on what to build. My son doesn't use the manual of course but builds incredible pieces that have become more and more complicated the older he gets.  We have use NextX magnets to build towers, houses, parking lots for his cars, trucks, castles and others. While he is doing that he is learning motor skills, engineering and physics, as putting several magnets together can cause opposite poles to reject each other and lots of frustration when he is trying to put them in a block. That's ok though, we all learn about gravity by falling...

New Daycare Experience

This week I wake up and get my son ready for daycare. Need to put sunscreen before he leaves, make sure he wears the right shoes, eat something, get dressed, bring the plastic bag with necessities and not the backpack, it's easier to clean. First condition of the day that we must follow for him to go there, no backpacks, no extra things like toys, only the essentials in a ziplock bag. We get in the car and drive to daycare, telling him all the fun things we might be doing today, what are they? I can't get in the daycare anymore, so I don't know which friends are going there this week, he can't play with the sandbox or any shared activities, all stations in his classroom are separate enough so kids don't mingle much. So I ask him what he does during the day and him being 3 and all, his answer is always "I don't know" or "Nothing", great. We are at daycare now, get off the car, put on my mask, grab him and his plastic bag and line u...